Saturday, May 22, 2010

Biddy Bags and more!

Biddy Bags is a now famous enterprise initiated by Samantha Jockel that connects socially isolated Nana's and mature-aged ladies through craft, economic participation and social networking. These ladies get their crafty fingers hooking to create cool crotcheted bags and home wares.

Each Biddy Bag is unique and is both a fashion and a social statement, providing retired women with a purpose and an income (and we all need both of those).
The fabrics and yarn in the bags are all vintage/pre-loved, and come in every conceivable hue and colour combo!

The business has now branched out into gorgeous tea cosies,

As well as cute i-phone pouches and facewashers.
In 2007 Sally from Georgie Love introduced me to Biddy bags. She had given them a brilliant spiel, so in the blink of an eye (and the click of the mouse) I had bought one for myself.
The fun begins when you have to decide which Biddy Bag you want, there are so many colour combinations to choose from.Go and check out the website to see all the products.
So here is the gorgeous bag I chose, made by a very clever crocheting grandma Jan Mc Coombes.I lurve it!

5 comments:

  1. AnonymousMay 22, 2010

    this is SUCH a wonderful thing!! and the bags look fab I am heading over there now to check them all out, I feel retail therapy coming on!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh I wanna biddy-bag!!! (in Veruca Salt tone and accent) :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. AnonymousMay 22, 2010

    How have I never seen these before!?! I want one tooooooo! Being away from Oz, I am remembering that there is something really special and unique about Australian craft and design. I love it and I miss it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh that is wonderful.....i am in love with those bags...of coure every woman would be...do you think we could get them to make shoes next??

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are beautiful.
    It has occurred to me that people in their 60+ years might wonder at us "youngsters" (me all of 46!) appropriating their styles and skills.
    It's very refreshing to see a business that involves some of the folks who started all this!

    ReplyDelete